Safety training and consultancy plays a major role in protecting workers and the environment from harmful exposures. With this effort, combined with Canada’s occupational health and safety laws, workers now have access to safe working environments, more so than ever before. If it were not for these regulations and safety training and consultants, workers would be forced to perform in dire situations. Fortunately, this is not the case.
What role do safety consultants play in keeping Canada’s workplaces safe and healthy? First and foremost, these safety consultants help companies create standards that are guaranteed to improve the workplace, job activities, and circumstances for all Canadian workers.
Companies hire safety consultants to develop or improve their health and safety workplace policies and regulations. Why is this necessary? Without health and safety policies and regulations, workers would be forced to perform tasks that pose danger to their health and safety. They also help set guidelines for workers in the workplace.
Health safety consultants access a specific workplace from top to bottom, looking for red flags that could risk the health and safety of workers. For example, a health safety consultant hired by a chemical manufacturing company discovers an issue with the water system. The consultant detected a small leak that was allowing harmful chemicals to enter the public water supply. This is a great discovery, as the issue would have continued to worsen, putting not only the workers at risk but also the public.
Safety Consultant Risk Exposures
Like all professionals, licensed safety consultants are exposed to all kinds of potential risks on a daily basis. These risks include financial loss, bodily injury, property damage, reputational harm, negligence, environmental dangers, operational mishaps, and oversights.
When these professionals are not assessing workplaces, they are working to develop new and improved occupational safety policies for Canadian companies. While most business owners are open to improving their existing safe working policies, there are a few who believe improvement is not necessary. Unfortunately, this is never the case.
With advanced technologies, the workplace is no longer a hotbed of harmful risks. Workers can safely enter their work environments knowing they are exposed to minimal risks.
Not all licensed safety consultants have reported positive career outcomes. In fact, some of these professionals have been dragged through the courts by dissatisfied clients. A simple oversight by one of these professionals has the potential to cause great harm. For example, a health safety consultant assessing a call center fails to detect an issue with the employee seating arrangement. The impacted workers were utilizing poorly designed chairs, resulting in discomfort, fatigue, and low productivity.
Months following the health and safety assessment, one of the impacted workers brought the issue to the surface at an employee safety meeting. Some of the impacted workers had reported neck strain, back pain, and injuries while being unaware of the culprit (improperly designed seating.)
The employer requested a second visit from the same professional safety consultant to bring the matter to her attention. This oversight left dozens of workers dealing with injuries with long-term effects. The damage had been done, leaving no other option for the employer but to file a negligence claim against the responsible party.
Partial- Or Full-Financial Protection Against Negligence Claims
The fictional scenario is just one example of a health safety consultant oversight. If only, the consultant had focused more attention on the employee seating, the heavily impacted workers may still be working and thriving. While it is impossible to detect all issues in the workplace, this is one issue that should have been detected the first go-round.
Now, the safety consultant is left dealing with a negligence claim. Thankfully, the responsible party was covered under a core Professional Liability Policy (PLI). The professional obtained the coverage on her own accord. Now, she will be fully protected from financial devastation associated with the failed health and safety consultation.
The PLI will cover up to 100 percent of the negligence claim, depending on the coverage. Every custom PLI policy has unique features that guarantee more protection than the basic alternative.
PLI Insurance Premiums
Professionals believe insurance is important, but this does not mean they are willing to pay outrageous premiums. PLI is one of the most affordable insurance policies for professionals. ProfessionalsCoverage agents will help customize a PLI policy specific to your insurance needs and preferences, And, even better, it will not break the bank.
If your funds are limited, you can opt for a core PLI policy. While this level of coverage is generally limited, it is better than not having financial loss prevention. When you are left dealing with a messy negligence claim or lawsuit, you can praise your efforts. It will offer protection against financial ruin and ensure the client recovers his financial loss.
Regardless, the investigation deemed you to be responsible for the damage.
You biggest asset in life is your earning ability. If you are unable to work, you will need to rely on either your savings or borrow money to sustain your lifestyle. When these unfortunate circumstances occur, dependents and spouses are also impacted financially and emotionally.
Disability insurance coverage will provide you a monthly income benefit, usually totaling 70% to 80% of your income, when you are unable to work for a period of time due to injury or illness.
Types of disability insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance (LTD)
- Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Key Person Disability Insurance
- Self Employed Disability Insurance
- Mortgage Disability Insurance
- Temporary Disability Insurance
- Supplemental Disability Insurance
Need coverage in effect? Compare the market!
Other Types of Consulting Businesses we insure:
If your specializing is not mentioned below, have no worries. Our insurance markets can provide liability coverage for the majority of consulting businesses.
- Acoustic Consultant Insurance
- Agricultural Consultants Insurance
- Branding Consultant Insurance
- Business Consultant Insurance
- Business Management Consultants Insurance
- Custom Computer Software Consultant Insurance
- Environmental Consultants Insurance
- Education Consultants Insurance
- Energy Conservation Consultant Insurance – Commercial/Industrial
- Ergonomics Consultant Insurance
- Fashion Consultant Insurance
- Fire Protection Consultant Insurance
- Fire Safety Consultant Insurance
- Forestry Consultant Insurance
- Fuel Efficiency Consultant Insurance – Domestic
- Fuel Efficiency Consultant Insurance – Commercial/Industrial
- Executive Consultants Insurance
- Health and Social Care Consultants Insurance
- HR Consultants Insurance
- Linguistic Consultant Insurance
- Management Consultant Insurance
- Marketing Consultants Insurance
- Market Research Analyst Insurance
- Noise And Vibration Consultant Insurance
- Planning Consultant Insurance
- Personal Consultants Insurance
- Printing Consultant Insurance
- Publicity Consultant Insurance
- Public Relations Consultant Insurance
- Quality Control Consultant Insurance
- Regulatory Consultant Insurance
- Research Consultants Insurance
- Risk Management Consultants Insurance
- Safety Training/Consultant Insurance
- Security Consultant Insurance
- Technical Consultants Insurance
- Theater Lighting Consultant Insurance
FAQ before purchasing liability insurance
- How much professional liability insurance do I need?
- How do I get a liability insurance policy?
- What does professional liability insurance cover?
- What is the difference between claims made & occurrence form of coverage?
- When will I need to be insured?
- What other professions need this type of insurance?
Other useful posts you should also read
- Canadian insurance companies that provide professional liability insurance
- How does the claims process work if I get sued because of my professional services?
- What is the cost of professional liability insurance?
- How do I apply for a professional liability insurance policy?
- How do I qualify for coverage as a professional service provider?
- What is the purpose of getting insured as a professional?
- How long will it take to get an insurance quote for my business?