Temporary Disability Insurance

Certain workers in Canada can receive temporary disability insurance benefits after being injured or falling ill. Workers injured before January 1, 1998 can obtain temporary disability benefits from Canada’s Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. Workers injured after that day will not receive temporary disability benefits. Instead, they will receive Loss of Earnings or LOE benefits.

Canadian consumers need to understand that there are two types of temporary benefits. They include temporary total disability and temporary partial disability benefits. Below, you will learn more about both.


Total Disability

Canadian workers can receive temporary total disability benefits while receiving care for a doctor. Before they can, the WSIB has to find that the worker cannot perform any type of job. When you receive temporary total disability benefits, you are going to receive 90% of your take-home pay from the job you were working when you were injured.

If the accident occurs before January 1, 1990, the WSIB will stop paying those benefits when it is confirmed that the worker’s medical condition is likely not going to improve. That worker may be able to receive a pension or a disability supplement.

If the accident occurred after January 1, 1990 and the worker did not fully recover, WSIB would have given the worker a future economic loss award for at least 12 months. Once you are given an FEL, you will no longer receive temporary total disability benefits. For accidents that occur after 1998, you would receive LOE benefits.


Partial Disability Benefits

Some workers will be able to do some suitable work but they might not be able to return to their original job. If this is the case, you will receive temporary partial disability benefits. In these situations, the workers will receive 90% of the earnings before the accident and what is earned after the accident. Some workers may not return to any work. These individuals will be given the same amount of money as if they were totally disabled. However, they will need to meet WSIB requirements.

For instance, that Canadian consumer will need to take part in a medical rehabilitation or return to work program. Or, you can follow a work transition plan. If the worker does not start working and doesn’t cooperate with these requirements, their benefits will be reduced. It can be reduced by as much as 50%.


What Happens If You Do Not Agree With The Benefits Given?

Ultimately, some Canadians are not going to be satisfied with the money given to them. If you are not satisfied, you can do something about it. If you do not agree, you can object to the WSIB. The objection must be made within six months after the initial decision. If the WSIB denies your request, you will always have the option of appealing it to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal. Again, you’ll have to submit your appeal within six months.


There is always a chance that you’ll be able to convince the WSIB to change their tune. If not, you will be forced to accept the decision that they’ve made.


get quotes


Types of Disability Insurance we offer


Other Disability Insurance Resources that you can read


get quotes

Why not get a free quote?

Takes less than 30 seconds. Compare multiple insurance companies at once.


get a quote now



Ok, sure.